Relocating to a new home doesn’t have to be a stressful endeavor. Here are six tips for preparing for a move that will help you stay organized and save time while moving between houses.
1. Get an Early Start Preparing for a Move
Don’t procrastinate. Begin preparing for a move as soon as you know that you will be relocating. Parts of the process can be more time consuming than you anticipate. It’s much better to have free time towards the end of the move than to be scrambling to meet a deadline.
2. Create a Plan
Having a plan in place from the beginning is one of the best ways to prepare for a move. Incorporate some of these things into your plan.
- Set packing goals. Decide on a goal for packing one closet or room every day.
- Decide who will be doing the heavy work. Are you hiring movers, or will family and friends be helping out?
- Figure out your budget. There will be costs associated with moving, regardless of who is doing the work.
- Getting your family involved is important for time management. Set goals for them, too.
3. Gather Supplies
Once you’ve made your plan, gather supplies. When preparing for a move, here are some of the supplies you’ll need.
- Boxes: You can buy them or find them. Local retailers often have boxes that they save for their customers. Get plenty of boxes. They’re not something that you want a shortage of.
- Tape: Purchase sturdy packing tape. Every box has something valuable inside and the tape helps keep it safe.
- Markers: Labeling all of those boxes is helpful when it comes to unpacking.
- Bubble wrap: You could also use old newspapers or towels to protect breakables.
4. Declutter When Preparing for a Move
Don’t bother packing and moving things that you don’t use anymore. As you are preparing for a move, sort your belongings and designate boxes for things to drop off at a thrift store.
5. Use Basic Packing Tips
Simple packing tips can be helpful for your move.
- Use different colored markers for different rooms.
- Always fill boxes completely.
- Don’t make boxes too heavy to manage.
- Wrap linens around valuables inside of boxes for padding.
- Pack things that you don’t use often first.
6. Take Care of Your Movers
When preparing for a move, make an effort to take care of your movers, whether they are friends, family, or professionals. Food, beverages, and tips will go a long way towards helpful, productive workers.